Students have been facing challenges with following directions, and then find themselves doing extra work. I spent a significant part of the year modeling how to do literature circle social media projects. I then explained when we transitioned to independent work it was imperative they read the first page of their instruction packets and see me. Only one group in the class did this, so most groups found that when they went to turn in work I would not take it until they followed the directions. I thought it would be a nice learning experience for students to see the importance of following directions. The assignment below was given to them. Try it out at home with your family and see how they do! Check out what your agent did as he or she is bringing his or her paper home today.
- Read everything carefully before doing anything.
- Put your name in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
- Circle the word NAME in sentence two.
- Draw five small squares in the upper left-hand corner.
- Put an “X” in each square.
- Put a circle around each square.
- Sign your name under the title of this paper.
- After the title write, “yes, yes, yes.”
- Put a circle completely around sentence number seven.
- Put an “X” in the lower left corner of this paper.
- Draw a triangle around the “X” you just put down.
- On the back of this paper, multiply 703 by 66.
- Draw a rectangle around the word “corner” in sentence four.
- Loudly call out your first name when you get this far along.
- If you have followed directions carefully to this point, call out, “I have.”
- On the reverse side of this paper, add 8950 and 9305.
- Put a circle around your answer and put a square around the circle.
- Punch three small holes in the top of this paper with your pencil point.
- If you are the first person to reach this point, LOUDLY, call out, I AM THE FIRST PERSON TO REACH THIS POINT, AND I AM THE LEADER IN FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.”
- Underline all even numbers on the left side of this paper.
- Loudly call out, “I AM NEARLY FINISHED. I HAVE FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS.”
that you have finished reading everything, do sentences 1 and 2! Keep busy
so that others will continue to read without disturbance from you. Do not
make any sign to give a clue to your having completed the assigned task.